Do you want to get free publicity for your business through media but don’t know where to start?
Do you wonder if you even have a story that media is interested in?
Do you want to learn how to contact media in efficient and effective ways that has them turning to you as the go-to expert?
Media Mastery Solutions is a simple-to-follow process that shows you how to successfully reach out to media and gain free exposure for your business. Taught by a journalist with more than 20 years’ experience as an editor, producer and PR strategist, there’s no other course like this.
In this program you will get access to:
- Six live group training sessions that will explain in simple do-it-yourself strategies how to attract media attention and get media coverage for your business.
- Access to the recordings of the presentations will be provided in case you missed any live sessions.Access to online training videos to show you how to identify stories and expertise that media would be interested in; how to write powerful press releases and media pitches in 60 minutes or less; and how to reach out to media in ways that will have your media pitches opened and read.
- One full year of access to Media Mastery Solutions support group to help you with your media pitches and feedback on how to get more media coverage.
- Easy-to-complete templates for any kind of press release or media pitch, as well as “good” and “bad” samples of media pitches showing you exactly what to do and what not to do.
- Demonstrations of how to find media contact information.
- One-to-one feedback on your draft material
- Recordings of all classes
By the end of this program you will:
- Have a full understanding of the type of story or column suggestions that would be interesting to media.
- Be able to take any story or column idea that you want to pitch and write a media-ready email.
- Identify which media outlets will be your best options to cover your business.
- Complete your first pitch and send out to your target media outlets.
Here is what you’ll get week-to-week:
Week 1: Your Compelling Offer
This module focuses on a basic overview of how media works, what they look for in story elements and how to craft your message so they'll be interested in what you have to say.
You will learn the eight criteria media look for and how to create the first part of your pitch so it relates to one or more of these criteria:
- Expertise about a specific service or product
- Expertise about or learned lesson from operations
- Event announcement
- Something new/changing in your field
- Connection to a (news, cultural, lifestyle or celebritainment) trend
- Geographic or demographic relevance
- Niche or quirky offering
Week 2: Perfect Pitches
This module covers how to choose and write a pitch to communicate the story
You will learn how to
- Differentiate between different types of media pitches
- Create subject lines that will draw the reader’s attention
- Complete each component of a story pitch or press release
- Discover the top 10 mistakes people make when writing media pitches
- Promote yourself as a go-to expert
Week 3-4: Traditional Media Selection – Print and Broadcast
This module covers the step of identifying the print and broadcast media to reach out to.
You will learn how to
- Set your goals for what you want to achieve from media coverage
- Choose the media outlets that will work best for you and learn how to make contact with the right person
- Leverage media kits and editorial calendars
- The different ways to pitch to print versus broadcast media
Week 5: Connecting With Social Media Influencers
This module covers how to reach out to social media channels that have followers in your target market.
You will learn how to
- Identify the types of social media channels that will work best for you (podcasts, blogs, etc.)
- Connect with the hosts of those channels so you can leverage their audience by being a guest on their show or posting on their channel
Week 6: Follow Up and Leverage
This module covers the next steps after reaching out to media.
You will learn how to
- Have a plan ready to go if you don’t hear back
- Rewrite a pitch so it gets answered the second time it’s sent
- Begin your next month’s strategy
- Leverage coverage that you get from media to its best advantage
Who this program is for?
This program is for small-business owners or solopreneurs who are interested in gaining more exposure through magazines, newspapers, television, radio, online media, guest blogs and podcast interviews.
Participants will be given assignments throughout each class that will be reviewed before following class. Assignments can be posted in the private Facebook group.
30-DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
If you think this course has not delivered on the promised content
Duration: Course takes place over 6 weeks
6 classes of 1.5 hours for a total of 9 hours
Delivery method: Videoconference (Zoom software)
Capacity: Limit of 20 participants
Cost is $997 CAD per person
About the Instructor
Baila Lazarus is an award-winning writer, editor and a media adviser. Since 2013, she has been an instructor at Small Business BC. Prior to that, she was the news features editor at Business in Vancouver newspaper for five years, managing editor of BIV Magazines and a business commentator on Global Morning News. Her 20+ years of journalism include print, radio, television and online production. She has been featured as a speaker for the BC Communications Forum, the GetSetGo! Summit, Vancouver Island Tourism and SOHO Victoria, among others. She lives in Vancouver and provides workshops, webinars and personal training sessions on media strategies to entrepreneurs, small businesses, non-profits and marketing companies. Baila obtained a post-graduate degree in journalism from Concordia University in Montreal.
I have attended a couple of Baila's webinars, as well as seen her speak at the GetSetGo! Summit, and I can tell you that Baila knows her stuff. After using just a few of her techniques I have been very successful at pitching to the media including acceptance into Business in Vancouver's "Ask the Experts" section. I have since signed up for her full workshop and can't wait to see the results I will gain from taking my media pitches to a whole new level.
I attended via webinar Baila's course Getting Your Business in the Media through Small Business BC. I was looking for some practical tactics, and Baila's course delivered. She offers pragmatic advice based on firsthand experience and provided advice specific to the various attendees.
I attended one of Baila's sessions on capturing the attention of the media for your business. Baila is incredibly knowledgeable about how the media works and what captures their attention. Her years of experience were obvious from the great tips and tricks she shared with us and the stories of how to and how not to go about targeting media outlets. I learned more from her in 45 minutes than I have amassed in 20-plus years as an executive in front of the media and the author of two books on business. Thank you, Baila!